Imagine 1st couple are standing back to back in the middle of the set facing their opposite side (see diagram). The mans' 20px 1st corner is 3rd lady and his 2nd corner is 2nd lady . The ladys' first corner is 2nd man and her 2nd corner is 3rd man.
Line of dance
In a 1 couple round the room dance or a '3 facing line of dance' dance this is the direction that the dancers initially travel. Against the line of dance is the opposite direction.
- A group of dancers performing (or standing ready to perform) a dance.
- Sets can be:
- A step usually performed on the spot.
- In reel & jig time this is a Pas-de-basque
- In strathspey time is is a strathspey setting step
Top of the set
- This is the end of the set nearest the music.
- When used to describe a movement (e.g. 1s lead down the middle of the set) the couple dance together with their right hands joined. The man is "leading" or guiding his partner.
- When used to describe a movement (e.g. 1s dance down the middle of the set) the couple dance together with their nearer hands joined.
- To change places with another person across the dance.